Thursday, May 10, 2012

Get Twitterpated!



I have an announcement to make- I, John Mein, whom you all know as Mr. Smart Trainer, am completely Twitterpated. The Urban Dictionary defines this as "an enjoyable disorder characterized by feelings of excitement, anticipation, high hopes, and giddiness." I have had this feeling quite a bit lately. I have to admit I've had an awful lot of metaphorical "carrots" as of recent. The long road to the STAAR test finally ended as did 11 weeks of after-school tutoring. My students worked incredibly hard to prepare. I learned that I would be one of fifty in North America chosen to participate in the SMART Exemplary Educator Summit held in Calgary, Alberta this summer at SMART's headquarters. My resources passed accreditation on the SMART Exchange. These are all sources of pride and twitterpation, if you will.  The place I choose to share this information is here, on the Mr. Smart Trainer blog, but I also share this on Twitter.
I will be the first to admit that, until about 7 months ago, logging on to Twitter was furthest from my mind.  I was perfectly happy with Facebook, I was getting used to Google Plus, but something about Twitter didn't really appeal to me.  It didn't really fit my needs.  It was much easier and more appealing to me to post any of my "news" on Facebook to my family and friends that would like to hear what was going on down here in Kerrville, Texas.  That was until I started writing this blog.  My CTO stopped by for a software update and I asked him why nobody was visiting my site.  I asked him how to get the most traffic without spending any money.  He told me to use Twitter.  I learned what a hashtag would do.  What an awesome tool!  So, I found some great ways to route traffic through Mr. Smart Trainer, but this is my hobby- not my job.  My job is teaching middle school students to read and write.  Could Twitter be used for that too?  I quickly found that it could be. 
I found lots of hashtags that give great insight and ideas for the classroom.  You can retweet to bookmark the posts that you want to go back to.  You can post your own resources and ideas to share with others.  Follow people that give great resources and input.  For those of you that are hesitant, take some time to check out what happens through the magic of the hashtag.  Below are a handful of hashtags to check out.  If you get the chance, follow me @johnmein.  Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by,





3 comments:

  1. Nice reflections John (a.k.a "Mr. SmartTrainer"). After two years of ignoring my Twitter account I finally got on board around mid-Fall 2011 when I went Tech Forum. Of course, Joel was the one that lured me back into the TwitterSphere. I am glad he did since I, too, have been Twitterpated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another addict in my universal twitter church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a break from Twitter for a few months - it can really eat into your time and even the 'experts' I followed seemed to be tweeting what they had for breakfast. So, thanks, I'll venture back and see if I can manage my time with Twitter more effectively.

    ReplyDelete